Municipal Court matters handled by Castellani Law Firm include traffic violations, DUI/DWI violations, minor criminal offenses, drug possession charges, resisting arrest, disorderly persons offenses, petty disorderly persons offenses, and other Municipal Court matters. No matter the issue you are facing, Castellani Law Firm will be in your corner to defend and fight for you to ensure the most favorable outcome. There is not a violation too big or too small that Castellani Law Firm cannot handle for you. We are ready to help you knock out those fines and violations.
Understanding Municipal Court Violations in New Jersey
Paying fines and citations usually does not make your violations disappear. It may seem easy to just pay a fine and continue on as if that is the end of the matter. However, frequently points will be added to your license and charges will stick with your record. Even worse consequences may arise out of municipal court matters, such as license suspensions and additional surcharges. At Castellani Law firm, we are here to guide you through the process of mitigating these violations and taking the correct action to ensure you are not susceptible to further consequences.
Municipal court matters can be serious and carry hefty fines. If these matters are left unattended: points can be added to your license, license suspensions, loss of your license, increase in insurance premiums and even jail time. When dealing with these matters, you will need someone to represent you effectively who knows what it takes to get you the outcome you are seeking.
With almost 30 years of experience representing New Jersey clients with these types of legal matters, in addition to experience as a former Municipal Prosecutor, trust Castellani Law Firm to deliver the best possible outcome at a reasonable cost. Castellani law firm provides free consultations to discuss your case.
Below are some of the most common municipal court matters we frequently address:
- Careless Driving occurs when an individual drives without caution in a manner that could possibly endanger another person or property. The punishment for this is usually 2 points on the individual’s license, 15 days in jail and/or a fine up to $200 within New Jersey.
- Reckless Driving in New Jersey is similar to careless driving as the motorist is driving dangerously, likely to endanger other individuals or property. First offense carries up to 60 days in jail and up to $200 in fines. As a repeat offender, a motorist can face up to three months in jail, up to $500 in fines and 5 points against that individual’s license.
- Speeding violations are punishable by a fine anywhere from $50 to $200 and/or 15 days in jail. Although jail time is not common for speeding violations. Points can be assessed against the motorist’s license depending on the number of miles over the speed limit. Fines can also be doubled if the driver exceeds the speed limit by 10-20 miles. Fighting speeding violations with Castellani can help mitigate the fines and decrease or expunge the demerit points.
- Driving while intoxicated in New Jersey is punishable by license suspension for three months to a year along with a $500 fine for the first offense. For the second offense the motorist can lose their license for up to two years and owe over $1000 in fines. The driver will also be required to partake in the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center Program.
- Possession of a controlled substance can result in up to a $35,000 fine and up to 5 years in New Jersey State Prison if the substance qualifies as dangerous. Lesser fines and jail time could be issued if the substance is not as dangerous or of higher quantities. Up to 100 hours of community service also may be part of a punishment if the possession of the controlled substance was within 1000 feet of school property.
- Municipal ordinance violations in New Jersey are punishable by up to 90 days in jail and up to a $2000 fine when an ordinance is violated. These include loitering, disturbing of peace, and illegal consumption of alcohol.
Castellani Law Firm handles many other offenses similar to those listed above.
Feel free to contact us below for more information.